National Honor Society Induction Ceremony
for the 2016-2017 Academic Year
Date to be announced in the Spring of 2017
Advisor: Mrs. Jean Zanolini
National Honor Society
The National Honor Society is an organization for those students who demonstrate an enthusiasm for scholarship by maintaining academic excellence. In addition, students must demonstrate the qualities of service, leadership and character.
The criteria for members are as follows:
- Membership in the National Honor Society is open to eligible 10th, 11th and 12th grade students.
- Members will be selected on the basis of scholarship, leadership, character and service. Advisors and Faculty Council will review all prospective members.
- National Honor Society Inductees/Members MUST be active in at least one (1) school activity and be engaged in at least one (1) community service activity. All National Honor Society inductees/members will be required to fill out a biographical form noting these activities and other accomplishments and MUST be returned on the announced date in order for the candidate to be further reviewed by the advisors and Faculty Council. We request that the forms be submitted by this date to provide the Faculty Council sufficient time to authenticate the information provided by candidates and to seek clarification in preparation for the selection meeting. Without such time, it makes it difficult for the Faculty Council to render an appropriate professional judgment regarding your candidacy. Your cooperation in meeting this deadline is an indication of your responsibility and your commitment to becoming an effective member of our chapter. (NHS HANDBOOK)
- Academically, in order for a student to be inducted into the Crestwood Chapter of the National Honor Society he/she must have maintained a CUMULATIVE UNWEIGHTED GPA of 3.7 or higher for seven (7) consecutive quarters.
- Once a member of the Crestwood Chapter of the National Honor Society, the student must maintain the CUMULATIVE UNWEIGHTED GPA of 3.7 or higher. If the student falls below the required 3.7 CUMULATIVE UNWEIGHTED GPA for two (2) or more quarters the member will be dismissed. The student must be aware that every time a quarter GPA is below 3.7 it will negatively affect the CUMULATIVE UNWEIGHTED GPA. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the student to check with the guidance department to find out his/her UNWEIGHTED GPA if in doubt of still maintaining the required 3.7.
Dismissal letters will be given to these students and the student MUST sign that they have received that letter.
- Members who have NOT actively participated in at least one (1) school activity and at least one (1) community service in the past year will be dismissed.
Dismissal letters will be given to these students after the third quarter of that year upon return of biographical form and the student MUST sign that they have received that letter.
- In cases of VIOLATION of school rules or civil law, the member will be dismissed immediately.
- The FACULTY COUNCIL will determine whether a student receives a warning or an immediate dismissal. That student may appeal the decision by submitting a written request that will then begin the review process. The student must then submit any information that he/she deems pertinent to a possible reversal of a dismissal decision.
*****ALL DECISIONS OF THE FACULTY COUNCIL ARE FINAL*****
*****(National Council Regulation)*****
- Inductees/Members are MANDATED to participate in the Induction/Member Ceremony
***** (National Council Regulation)*****
- According to the rules and regulations of the National Council, once membership has been revoked, it CANNOT BE REINSTATED.
- These rules of the Crestwood Chapter of the National Honor Society can also be found in the Student Handbook.